This is a list of 7 cardinal rules for life that has been making it's way around the internet and social media lately. Whenever I stumble upon this I find it to be a really good little reminder about how to make my own life, and the people that come into contact with me a little better.
- Make peace with your past so that it won’t disturb your present. Let go of the baggage! Whatever happened in the past should be nothing more than a memory, and maybe some valuable life lessons. You've probably grown from those past experiences so take that positive point and let any of the burdening thoughts go.
- What other people think of you is none of your business. For real! It is so silly to waste any of your time or energy getting yourself down over what other people think. I know, it's easier said than done! It's human nature to want to be liked by people. But all that really matters is what you think of yourself.
- Time heals almost anything. Give it time. Even the deepest wounds get better with time. Just like a scar, they may leave a mark; but with time they will fade and become easier to manage.
- No one is in charge of your happiness. Except you. You have all the power to decide whether to be happy or not. No one can take that away from you. While you can't always control all of the circumstances of your life, you can decide how you feel about things. Once you truly embrace this one it can be a powerful thing.
- Don’t compare your life to others and don’t judge them, you have no idea what their journey is all about. Truly, don't base your successes on the way someone else's life looks like on the outside. It's not fair to you or to them! Their seemingly perfect life could be hiding a whole bunch of problems that are none of our business!
- Stop thinking too much. It’s alright not to know the answers. They will come to you when you least expect it. Overthinking is a bad habit of mine. But just like your past, and what others think of you, you've got to let this one go too. Do whatever it takes to get it out of your mind; meditate, do some yoga, or journal about it and be done with it!
- Smile. You don’t own all the problems in the world. It's really hard to stay angry or sad with a smile on your face! Try it, it might seem silly at first but 'fake it til ya make it'!